Medvezhyegorsk is a town and the administrative center of Medvezhyegorsky District of the Republic of Karelia, Russia, with population of 15,533 citizens.
A village in this location had existed since the 17th century. Between 1703–1710 and 1766–1769, a factory was operating in the village. Town status was granted to it in 1916, when it was known as Medvezhya Gora. The current name was given to it in 1938. During World War II, the town was occupied by the Finnish Army from 6 December 1941 to 23 June 1944.
Administrative and municipal status
Within the framework of administrative divisions, Medvezhyegorsk serves as the administrative center of Medvezhyegorsky District, to which it is directly subordinated.As a municipal division, the town of
together with three rural localities, is incorporated within Medvezhyegorsky
Municipal District as Medvezhyegorskoye Urban Settlement. Medvezhyegorsk
Medvezhyegorsk is on the
railway south of the White Sea, and at the north end of .
The White Sea–Baltic Canal passes by it. Lake Onega